Apple a little before 12 am today (August 20) released its much-awaited mobile OS version, iOS 11 to millions of iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users worldwide. If you have been tracking the news, you should be aware that the new OS version comes with major changes in terms of design or in features. The operating system was introduced on June 5 during the WWDC 2017 (World Wide Developers Conference).
If you are one of those who is not sure on how to go about downloading iOS 11 on your compatible iPhone and iPad devices, here are a few steps.
Before you download iOS 11
Before you get started you should keep certain pointers in mind.
- If you have a passcode set for the iOS device, do remember it. If you have forgotten your passcode, you’ll need to remove it by erasing the device completely.
- Also, keep your Apple ID and password handy as it is required when the device restarts after installation of the new iOS version.
- Make sure your device has enough storage space in place for the OS update. If your device doesn’t have enough storage, you can download the update using iTunes (method mentioned below). You can also manually remove content from your device and try again.
- Lastly, check the device compatibility. The list of eligible iPhone, iPad and iPod models are mentioned below.
List of iPhone and iPad devices getting iOS 11
Apple will be bringing its iOS 11 to a total of 22 devices including iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch models.
- While the recently launched iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X will come pre-installed with iOS 11, other smartphones that will get the update are iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE and iPhone 5s.
- The iPad models getting iOS 11 update are 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd-gen), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st-gen), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad (5th-gen), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3 and iPad mini 2.
- Apple iPod Touch 6th-gen will also be receiving iOS 11.
How to download iOS 11 on iPhone and iPad using Wi-Fi
When Apple releases iOS 11 globally, your compatible device will get a notification alert, prompting you to download the version. The notification will come from the device’s Settings app. Here’s what to do next.
- Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update. There you will see the iOS 11 update available to download and install. Click on the tab to trigger the installation process.
- Once the update has been downloaded, you can then tap on ‘Install’ button and agree to Apple’s terms and conditions before the device installs iOS 11.
- During the process the iPhone or the iPad will restart and will ask for your account login credentials.
How to download Apple iOS 11 using iTunes
If for some reason you don’t have Wi-Fi access to download iOS 11 using the aforementioned steps, you can still do it with iTunes. This includes a PC or a Mac device connected to the internet.
- Download iTunes software on the PC or Mac you want to install iOS 11 from.
- After opening iTunes connect your iPhone or the iPad with the PC/Mac using the charging cable.
- Click on the device icon on the top bar in iTunes and search for the Check for Update section in the Summary.
- Click on Download and Update if its available. Follow the instructions and you are done.
Key features of iOS 11
Apple iOS 11 brings a lot on the platter for users. It brings a redesigned App Store, improved Siri, better camera portrait modes, new features in Photos, indoor Maps, DND while driving feature, augmented reality and a whole lot of changes for iPad devices.
The iOS 11 release notes can be seen here.